Click the link to read the article.
I do not have a smartphone and I do not want one! And, I'm sure this would be the reaction of many of my friends: *gasp* What?! Why?! They're great!
First of all, they are costly. Just the cost of purchasing the phone itself, which can run anywhere from $199-$399, is outrageous!
Yes, I know that most wireless carriers have fantastic deals on smartphones... IF you sign up for a 2-year contract with their service. So, basically the company locks you into two years of service, costing approximately $2,800 (see below), just so you could save $200 on the cost of your phone!! Do the math, people! Those wireless companies are royally ripping you off.
Yes, I understand that a smartphone is so much more than a cell phone. I get it. There are "apps" for almost everything under the sun, you can browse the internet, check your email, use GPS functions, take videos, photographs, listen to music, and there are dozens of other seemingly cool things you can do with these 'mini-computers' that just happen to make phone calls too. Yes, they're cool. Yes, they're convenient... but that's about all they are.
There is always a price for that convenience and cool technology, and smartphone data service is pricey - try an extra $20-$40+ extra on your cell phone bill every month! That equates to $240-$480 per year. It doesn't sound too bad until you add that to your regular monthly cell phone bill, which ranges from $69-$189+ per month, and then you're looking at a price tag of $1068-2750+ per year!!
$2,800 per year to make phone calls, text, use the internet whenever I choose, have "cool" apps and basically just stay "connected" to society?! What?!
Two thousand eight hundred dollars?! And, I'm sure I know a dozen or so people who are paying more than this every year.
TWO THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS - that's a new car payment, two trips to Disney World, or better yet a vacation to Hawaii... every year!
I also refuse to become a slave to social networking, email, text messaging and being "connected" and "accessible" 24/7. Why does our society feel the need to live like this??
Ten years ago, I did not have a cell phone but I was able to function on a day-to-day basis without it. *shock* Really?! Yes, really.
But nowadays, if you don't answer your cell phone or return a text message within seconds, it's aggravates people. What happened to patience?? Why are we living in a world that thrives on instant gratification? What a horrible thing to teach our children!!
Sure, there are many positives to cell phones - they are great to have for emergencies, they are a wonderful means of contact when you are traveling, text messaging is super convenient, and it's nice to be able to pull up a map on the internet for directions when I get lost - but that's as far as I go with the positives that cell phones have. I don't have a smartphone and can do all of those things I mentioned with my "basic" phone.
This smartphone trend makes me nervous - what message would I be sending my child if I could not function without cell phone or internet access at all times??
I do not want to teach him that it is acceptable to check my cell phone every 5 minutes, or that it is ok to text while I am eating a meal, or that it is considered normal to immediately respond to my phone while I am chatting over a cup of coffee with a friend. Those types of behaviors once were considered rude, but somehow they are becoming the 'norm'!! Everywhere you turn, someone's ear is glued to their cell phone and people have their faces buried in their smartphones.
WHY?!
There is nothing more valuable than uninterrupted face to face time with another human being!!
There is nothing more valuable than being disconnected and unaccessible - and focusing all of your attention on your family, instead of your phone.
Our 2-year contract with Verizon expires in mid-November and I cannot wait!! We have talked about going without cell phones. The thought is appealing and scary - how freeing that would feel to not have a cell phone... or a cell phone bill! But, finding a pay phone in the event of an emergency is almost impossible these days (how sad!). And, not having a cell phone for emergencies would be scary, especially now that we have a child. Plus, I will admit I do enjoy the convenience of text messaging - it is the primary way that T & I keep in touch during the day. Regardless, we will definitely be down-grading our cell phone use and will not be renewing our service plan. Month-to-month service it will be for us, even if that means not getting a brand-new swanky phone for free... Ehem, ehem - "free", after a 2-year contract, of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment