I am usually inspired to write after I read her blog; she just has a way with words. Real. Alive. Inspiring. And, that's her "to a tee" in real life too - full of life, loving, real, inspiring.
I've known Laura for a long time now, but she's not one of those friends that I see ALL the time (heck, I think it's actually been several months since I've seen her!), she's not my BFF, nor do we take family vacations together, nor is she the first person I call when I have "news". BUT, I can honestly say she is definitely one of those friends that I pick right up with when we see each other: we'll chat endless for hours, laugh wholeheartedly, tell stories, hug and say goodbye and do it again... usually not for several months later (even though we promise to get together sooner). She's one of those friends that I connect with, instantly. Because she's full of life - her energy, her smile and her laughter are contagious! Yes, Laura F., you are indeed a life-long friend; one I know that I'll be deep belly laughing with when we're old and gray (I'm getting there!) and still talking about our birth stories!
Yesterday, she blogged about her favorite (simple, non-materialistic) things and challenged her readers to do the same. Of course, that got me thinking and here are a list of my favorite things:
• "I" crawling into our bed on weekend mornings - snuggling as a family, groggy hugs and kisses.
• T wrapping me completely in his arms, burying my face completely into his chest and breathing in his scent. We call this "being the beans" - his arms are like a burrito and I'm wrapped completely in the them, like beans ;)
• When T cups my face in his hands, tilts my chin up and kisses me on the forehead.
• When "I" cups my face in his hands, pulls my face towards him and plants a sloppy, wet, noisy kiss on my lips.
• Deep belly laughter - the kind where my cheeks and stomach hurt and my eyes tear.
• The sound of "I" laughing.
• Days spent with my family - my mom, dad and brother: laughing, reminiscing, the way we 'get' each other and can push each other's buttons.
• The comfortable silence between my best friend and I. We have the kind of friendship where we don't have to be doing anything at all; we can just sit in silence next to each other, entirely comfortable and completely happy to just be.
• The feel of a warm cup of coffee in my hands on cold day, sinking down into our couch by the fireplace with a good read.
• Walking through a quiet forest - hearing the sound of my feet hitting the ground underneath me, the rustle of the wind in the leaves, the chirp of birds and chatter of squirrels. The smell of pine and damp earth.
• The contract of cold, crisp air and warm sunshine on my skin in Fall time. The rich vibrant colors of autumn leaves. The taste of juicy apples picked freshly from trees. The crunch of leaves under our feet.
• Sitting by a campfire in the Adirondack Mountains: the snap and crackle of the wood, my eyes feeling heavy from the hypnotic flames dancing, crickets chirping and the call of a loon echoing off a mountain lake.
• Snowshoeing in the winter at night: still and complete silence. The sharp numbing sting of cold in my nose when I breathe in. The crunch of snow under my shoes. The way the moonlight glistens off fresh fallen snow.
• The feel of dirt under my hands, the smell of earth and vegetation, the sound of birds chirping, the accomplishment of growing & harvesting my own food.
• Chopping fresh vegetables & herbs. Stirring and sauteing, tasting, adding ingredients, the aroma. Cracking eggs, beating, whisking, measuring. Feeling dough under my hands, creating & crafting wholesome meals and goods for myself and my family.
• The sound of horses in the morning at the barn; waking up quietly in their stalls, neighing good morning as barn doors slide open, the smell of hay, oats, worn leather and horses all mixed into one. The sound of grain being scooped from a barrel and gently falling into feed buckets.
What are your favorite things?? I'd love to read your list!
No comments:
Post a Comment