I've been in a canning mood lately, so I've been taking advantage of all of the fabulous fresh produce available and creating canned goodies! This week, Kosher Dill Pickles.
This recipe is a combination of a friend's (thanks L!!) and the Better Homes & Garden cookbook:
Place dill and fresh garlic cloves in bottom of jar. I used a [very] large handful of dill and 2 cloves of garlic. Pack jar with pickling cucumbers (I sliced into spears and slices).
Boil 8 cups of water, 1 cup distilled white vinegar and 1/2 cup Kosher (or pickling) salt until salt is dissolved (this was enough brine to fill 4 one-quart jars).
Pour into jars, over cucumbers. Make sure jars are hot (I took mine out of a hot dishwasher right before filling).
I tried two different methods for sealing my jars (water bath and inversion), both worked, but the water bath method was faster (and from what I've read, it supposedly produces a better seal).
No comments:
Post a Comment