Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; For it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful. 
Psalm 147:1

Friday, June 11, 2010

Homemade Bread


This week I made and baked my own homemade bread... and it is delicious!! (Photo above) Looks pretty good, huh? We've been using it everyday for our sandwiches, and we're hooked! So, I'll be making our own bread every week! 

A friend from my mom's group passed along the recipe and I just thought I'd share it here for any of those who are ambitious enough to start making their own bread too. It's a lot easier than it sounds, I swear!! The recipe made 2 loaves with a little extra leftover.

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1 1/2 tablesppons granulated yeast (2 packets)
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
5 tablespoons oil
6 2/3 cups whole wheat flour 


(I also added 1/8 cup of flaxseed meal) 

Mix yeast, salt, honey & oil with milk & water in a 5 qt bowl with lid (not an airtight light). I used my crockpot and it worked great for this. 

Mix in remaining dry ingredients without kneading using a spoon. 

Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature until dough rises and collapses (flattens on top) about 2 to 3 hours. 

Refrigerate (not airtight) for up to 5 days. You should refrigerate a few hours before baking because the dough is easier to use when cold. 

When you are ready to bake: Lightly grease a nonstick bread pan. Using wet hands, scoop out a cantelope sized ball of dough. Keeping hands wet, quickly shape dough into a ball by stretching surface of dough around to the bottom on all sides. Rotate ball a quarter turn as you go. Do this for approximately 30 seconds. The dough will change consistency and form a "gluten cloak" around the outside of the loaf. 

Drop dough into greased bread pan. Fill the pan slightly more than half-full. Allow to rest for 1 1/2 hours - bread will spread out and fill pan as it rests. Lightly flour the top of the loaf and slash top, using the tip of a serrated bread knife. 

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees, with an empty broiler pan sitting on a rack that won't interfere with the rack the bread will sit on. Preheat oven at least 10 minutes. Place the loaf on a rack near the center of the oven. Pour 1 cup hot water into the broiler pan. Quickly close oven door. Bake for 50  to 60 minutes until browned and firm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment